Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dilled Asparagus

So ever since I purchased the book Canning for a New Generation  I have been looking forward to spring and asparagus because I wanted to try a recipe for dilled asparagus.  Unfortunately, spring was really busy and by the time July came, I figured my dreams of asparagus in 2011 were over.  Imagine my surprise when I was at the Farmers Market at City Hall in Seattle and I saw ASPARAGUS!!!  Well I immediately snatched up some and canned them that night.


Here is just a sampling of the asparagus I purchased.  I need to cut it down to size


I figured I better show you how I sterilize my jars before filling them.  That's right, I let them boil in the water bath canner I am heating up to can the asparagus


A quick flash boil to bring out the bright color


The finished product
Here is my recipe:
Pickled Asparagus (makes 2 pints)
1 lb thick asparagus tips cut 4 inches long (about 3 bunches)
2 cups rice vinegar (4% acidity)
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp pickling spice (I got mine from Penzey's and it smelled so good)
2 cloves garlic, peeled

Get the water bath canner going and sterilize your jars and lids

In a wide saucepan, bring 2 inches water to a boil.  then add the asparagus; bring back to a boil, then immediately drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool.  Drain well

In a non-reactive pot, combine the vinegar, 1 cup water, the salt, and sugar.  Bring to a boil.

Divide the asparagus, pickling spice, and garlic cloves between the hot jars.  Ladle the hot vinegar mixture into the jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Put on lids and rings tightening to finger tight.  Put the jars in the water bath canner making sure the jars are covered by at least one inch of water and boil for 10 minutes.  Remove the jars from the canner and let cool.


Now, my friend sent me a recipe for spicy pickled asparagus.  I think I might use it to pickle green beans later in the season.

Sriracha Pickles Asparagus (makes 4 pints)
3 cups white wine vinegar
3 cups water
1/4 cup pickling salt
2 lbs asparagus trimmed to fit jars
1 cup Sriracha
12 cloves garlic
16 peppercorns
4 tsp dill seed

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the vinegar, water, and salt to boil for 5 minutes.

In hot jars, pack equal amounts of asparagus, sriracha, garlic, pepper corns, and dill seed in the jars.  Top each with the hot vinegar mixture, leaving 1/2 inch headspace in each jar.  Process in a water bath canner for 8 minutes.  Let sit in a cool, dark place for 4-6 weeks before opening.

1 comment: