Monday, August 29, 2011

Liquid Laundry Detergent

Who says canning has to be just for food?  In the last few years I have noticed that my skin is very sensitive to dyes and perfumes and I have had to switch to hypo-allergenic laundry detergent, soap, and deodorant.  Sometimes these specialty items can be a little expensive so I thought I would try making my own laundry detergent.

The first step is to grate some Fels Naptha.  I thought it looked like cheese.

Here are all the ingredients for making liquid laundry detergent.  I found all these ingredients in the laundry aisle at Fred Meyer

Here is the recipe:

Liquid Laundry Detergent
3 pints water
1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated
1/2 cup washing baking soda
1/2 cup borax
2 gallon bucket
1 quart hot water

Mix soap in saucepan with 3 pints of water.  Heat on low until dissolved.  Stir in soda and borax until thickened.  Remove from heat.  Add 1 quart hot water to bucket, then soap mixture.  Mix well.  Fill rest of bucket with hot water, mix and let sit for 24 hours.  Use 1/2 cup per laundry load.

No comments:

Post a Comment